HOME

 

HOME

by Teak Kilmer,

circa 1996

 

 

            You ask me why I make my home in a mountain wood

 

The wild rose sweetens the wind that gently strokes the cottonwood

   Mariah greets me daily with the leafy hands on limbs of birches

       The water falls and streams and ruffles everlasting mantras

                        Salmon climb glistening stairways and

                      family style, serve themselves for winter

                       so black bears have Thanksgiving dinner

 

        My lawn is mowed and trees are pruned by moose and deer

           Evergreens and mountain peaks are my abundant steeples

                    Squirrels and chipmunks, marmots and the rest

                         nibble up the crumbs that naturally I left

         Birds praise God with their melodic praying without ceasing

                     and are thus rewarded with the gift of flight

 

I am at once at home and in awe as I, Thalas “Teak” Kilmer, remember the

                                                     question

 

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Etymology

The Words

Why Frogs?