A Note of Appreciation

A Note of Appreciation

By Teak Kilmer

 

 

West Eagle Lake Drive, Maple Grove, MN, summer, 1987… rural mail boxes about 400 feet from my girlfriend’s townhouse … door bell rings; mail man: “Hi, I thought you’d like to know. There’s no stamp on this envelope. Wouldn’t want it to be late for someone’s birthday or something, so I rang the bell.” “Wow,” I replied, “thanks. I’ll go get a stamp.”  We introduced ourselves when I returned and did our ‘good byes.’

 

I then reflected that he had (for a time-harried mailman) gone considerably out of his way and ultimately took time from his own personal life; I wondered how often he might be so generous. I wondered if he has been appreciated.  I, with nephews’ crayons doodled some crude art and wrote thank you sentiments – acknowledged his kindness and sacrifice (especially for someone he had never met) and left it in the mail box.

 

When we retrieved the post two days later, there was an unstamped envelope with my name on it.  The note inside read as follows:

 

“Teak, I have been working for the Post Office for 22 years and have always considered my job as a service, an opportunity to be of help. Criticism is a
bad habit at the Post Office, and sometimes on the route. Sadly, I do not
recall even once being thanked or praised before while on this job.

 

“I cannot tell you how much your note means to me.  On reading it, I felt
both grateful and sad, too, that our society is so short of appreciating each
other. I will keep it on my desk at home, so especially on difficult days,
I can come home to thoughts of being appreciated for my work.”

 

I sat down, stunned. I felt grief for him and our culture and gratitude for both of us that I recognized his care for us in his world and that I paid attention to the niggling I got to praise him and that I had made the effort. 

 

Let’s remember to thank people every day, especially for some specific deed or virtue.  We may have no idea how much difference it can make and for how long it may last and how far it may spread.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Etymology

The Words

Why Frogs?