The Fats of Life

The Fats of Life
By: Teak Kilmer 
Circa 2004

I love fats: marinated, mesquite chip, char-broiled
juicy, thick, porterhouse steaks, ketchup soaked, dripping burgers
and oozing fries, Coho salmon floating in white sauce
 
Fats Waller ─ now that was one jive cat
stompin’ music, rhythms spiraling heavenward
melodies, harmonies and euphonies, stirred and stirring the innocent
 
caramel and whipping cream soaked
chocolate amaretto cheese cake
ice creams marbled with dancing flavors
 
aroma and color therapies of Crayolas
jumping out’ their box in groups of sixty-four, greasing my coloring book
lipstick ─ the one crayon remaining to my allowance
soothing me with memory, intimacy and promise
 
organic extra virgin olive oil drenching
onioned and herbed, whole grain French sourdough
OH, AND ... BUTTER ... pooled in toe-curling-flavored
red kuri (oh, my God!) squash
 
fatty tissue gathered lovingly in nice places on my sweetie
 
Fats Domino who “Ain’t That a Shame’d” and “Blue Berry Hill’d” me
into an adolescence that needed hope and an upbeat
 
My rock and roll bachelorhood was no more because of this hep-cat
I was dancin’ and groovin’, and I was gainin’ some hope …
 
Hope and joy that were so slim … at my house.

Comments

  1. Oh yes! Fats a wallow that bath away the those slim... moments, days, weeks, months, years! TGFFs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Etymology

The Words

Why Frogs?